• Eric J. Cullen

'Meg' Sequel Begins Filming in the UK

Updated: Jan 31

The sequel to 2018's Megalodon shark blockbuster, The Meg, begins filming today at Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden in Watford, England.



Meg 2: The Trench has been in the works since the theatrical release of the first film back in 2018. In March of 2019, a script was confirmed by the film's producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura, who said so during a sit-down with CinemaBlend, "We’re working on a script. Yeah. So you never know until you get a good script… I was very thankful that the audience got that we were just trying to have fun, and not take ourselves seriously at all."


Back in October of 2020, Ben Wheatley came aboard the sequel project to direct. Pre-production moved along and as of early 2021, a script from returning writers Dean Georgaris, Erich Hoeber and Jon Hoeber, had been completed. A short time later development would move along further into the storyboard process. "I’ve been doing storyboards now for The Meg 2 for seven months. It’s very present in my mind. It’s gonna be massive. It’s really really exciting," said Wheatley, when he sat down to discuss development on Meg 2: The Trench.


Jason Statham will return to the large shark sequel and having a stronger say in the film's creative direction. Had he had his way with The Meg, we would have seen a bloodier and more violent shark film then the one we got. As far others like Cliff Curtis or Bingbing Li returning for the sequel, that remains unknown though director Ben Wheatley did say that survivors from the first could possibly return.


Meg 2: The Trench begins filming in England today which will hopefully put it on pace for a summer release this year.



5 views0 comments